Sat 10 Oct 2020
The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 deal with the installation, maintenance and use of gas appliances, fittings and flues in domestic and certain commercial properties. The regulations place responsibility on you as a landlord, to ensure that the appliances are safe for a tenant to use.
As a landlord you are required to:-
- ensure gas fittings and flues are maintained and in a safe condition. Gas appliances must be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If these are not available it is recommended that they are serviced annually unless advised otherwise by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
- ensure an annual safety check is carried out on each gas appliance/flue. Before a new tenancy starts you must ensure that these checks have been carried out with one year of the start of the tenancy date unless the appliances have been installed for less than 12 months, in which case they should be checked within 12 months of the installation date.
- have all installation, maintenance and safety checks are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
- keep a record of each safety check for at least 2 years.
- issue a copy of the latest safety check record to existing tenants within 28 days of the check being completed or to a new tenant before they move in
Stay Gas Safe!